Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Search Of.

Something I learned and kind of astounded me was the fact that once the internet realizes/thinks you are showing no interest in a certain thing it erases it or gets rid of it for you. In some ways that kind of sucks. It takes away your right to make decisions just because it thinks it knows you.  This informtion makes me aware of what I search for while using the internet. It makes me wonder if my research results are unbiased.
Right now, the internet gives us links that it thinks we want to see. But how far will this go? What if in reality we are seeing things the government wants us to see making us believe we choose to see it? From know on I will definitely have much more resources. I will also try to use search engines that are not biased such as duckduckgo.com.
My method was to open three tabs using the search engine duckduckgo.com. I used the same phrase for two and a different one for the third. they were all different. I noticed there were more links that finished with .org ,.edu, or .net. When I used the filter most of them ended in .com. After researching Shakspeare with the filter then without I have realized that with unbiased things you have a greater chance to learn because things aren't sugar-coated to your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment