Wednesday, October 19, 2011

To Facebook or Not to Facebook?

I was what you call a late bloomer when it came to Facebook.  When it first came out I wasn’t allowed to have one. I didn’t really want one either, thought it was a waste of time and wasn’t too sure about the privacy. But I also didn’t have a phone, still don’t actually. So I thought “what the heck, why not” and made myself an account. I have learned it is a great source when it comes to socializing. The way I see it, Facebook can have a good impact in your life but it can also have a bad one; this all depends on your “maturity” level.  A great impact would be bringing families closer. My experience with Facebook has actually brought me closer to my family. I can easily keep in touch with my cousins. It is as if we are living together but not really. I have recently started talking to a cousin of mine who before this we were not as close. We don’t live too far away either; definitely driving distance. Now, at a certain time of the evening we are both coincidentally logged on and we have the chance to ask each other things like how our day went. But there can be a negative side to Facebook; and it’s not even Facebook really but how it is used.  As Dr. Preston said “Facebook is a tool, it depends on how it is used. In class today, the article stated “that 7.5 million kids age 12 and younger are on Facebook”. Let’s be honest; children 12 and under are just that children. They are easily influenced to do anything because they are still in that phase where they absorb information like a sponge. There is too much responsibility with a Facebook account and if they can’t control themselves this social network could end up having a negative impact on their lives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment