Friday, October 21, 2011

Tools That Change The Way We Think

“Internet/media/technology use” has definitely made my life simpler, most of the time. Take our weekly list of vocabulary; the internet has always been there but before I personally learned how to use it vocabulary was the old fashion way. You grab a dictionary and look up the word. Now you go on to a search engine, type in define “the word”, and poof the definition instantly. I do believe the internet has made us a lot lazier though, and I don’t think that is a good thing. Now most of us have difficulty working for something or getting things done completely. Our expectations of ourselves have lowered much.  Maybe that’s why kids in Japan stand out more than American kids. For some people though, the internet is a way to be aware of what is going on that you may not have spare time to do specifically for that.  For example, when I sign in to my yahoo email account I get a quick glimpse of what is going on around the world.
I can feel it, too. Over the past few years I’ve had an uncomfortable sense that someone, or something, has been tinkering with my brain, remapping the neural circuitry, reprogramming the memory. My mind isn’t going—so far as I can tell—but it’s changing. I’m not thinking the way I used to think. I can feel it most strongly when I’m reading. Immersing myself in a book or a lengthy article used to be easy. My mind would get caught up in the narrative or the turns of the argument, and I’d spend hours strolling through long stretches of prose. That’s rarely the case anymore. Now my concentration often starts to drift after two or three pages. I get fidgety, lose the thread, begin looking for something else to do. I feel as if I’m always dragging my wayward brain back to the text. The deep reading that used to come naturally has become a struggle.”
After reading this article I realized something. Our generation might not see anything wrong with the internet because we have grown up with it. But with those who are wiser (older), they didn’t grow up with it. So for some this may be a new thing. For those people, they realize what the internet can do to you.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/07/is-google-making-us-stupid/6868/

No comments:

Post a Comment